> Bike Stay > Touring Advice
> Austria > Regulations & Advice

This page features general information in regards to legal issues and motorcycling in Austria.

Please also view our general advice for Motorcycling in Europe, which details information on passports, documents, lights, ferry crossings etc.

  • Vehicles in Austria drive on the right.

  • Radar is frequently used.

  • On the spot fines are standard.

  • GB Stickers, Country stickers or Euro Plates are required.

  • Roads are amazing!

  • If travelling from the UK, Ostend is the nearest ferry port, around 1150km with a route through Belgium and Germany.

  • If flying in from any country, there are ten airports in Austria.

Information is correct at the time of publishing (April 2013), please confirm as required with authorities.


Motorcycle Friendly Accommodation in Austria

Age limit

Minimum age for riding up to a 50cc motorcycle on a UK licence is 16 years of age (Max speed of motorcycle must not exceed 45km/h (27mp/h). Riding of a motorcycle over 50cc has an age restriction of 18 years old. If you are travelling from any other country, you must be over 18 years old with full entitlement to ride the size and type of vehicle you are driving/riding.

British Consulate

British Embassy
Jauresgasse 12
1030 Vienna

Telephone +43 (1) 716130

Crash Helmets

Compulsory for both driver and passenger.


Currency is EURO.


To prevent any difficulty whilst travelling, you should take the following documents with you (Applicable to UK Residents and most European Countries.)

  1. A valid full driving licence, with paper counterpart if you have a photocard licence.
  2. An International Driving Permit (when necessary).
  3. The original vehicle registration document.
  4. Your motor insurance certificate.
  5. Your passport.
  6. A Vignette (Road Tax) is required if you are travelling on motorways and expressways, these can be purchased in advance or at the border.

Carrying the correct documents will help to identify you and your vehicle and your rights should you be stopped by the police.


Alcohol - 0.049 limit. If found between 0.05 and 0.079 percent, a fine will be issued. Above this will be a severe fine and possibly a ban from future driving in the country.

Driving Licence

Old style paper UK driving licences are only valid when accompanied by a photo proof of identity, Your passport will cover this.


Do carry your European International Health Card, Please click here for further information.


On the spot fines charged. Obtain a receipt.

First Aid Kit

Is compulsory for both cars and motorcycles.


Leaded petrol is not available.

GB Stickers

A GB or Country code sticker must be displayed unless you have European Licence plates.

Health Advice & Insurance

Do have your own health insurance, it is advised to have emergency air ambulance cover in case you are involved in an accident.

Please also see the advice from the Foreign and Commonwealth office, Or the National Travel Health Network (see links at the bottom of this page).

As morbid as it may sound, it is worth while to have cover that will bring you home in a state of ill health or death.

Highway Code

No link available at this time.


Use of horn is prohibited in Vienna, and near hospitals.

International Driving Permit

Is not a requirement for visitors travelling from the UK, but you must have your UK driving licence with you.


Daytime headlights are compulsory for motorcycles.

Motorcycle Insurance

3rd party compulsory.


Must be a minimum of 12 years of age and must be able to reach footrests.

Public Holidays

1 January New Year's Day, 6 January Epiphany, Easter Monday, 1 May International Workers' Day, Ascension Day, Whit Sunday, Corpus Christi, 15 August Assumption of Mary, 26 October Austrian National Day , 1 November All Saints' Day, 8 December Feast of the Immaculate Conception, 25 December Christmas Day, 26 December St. Stephen's Day

Radar Detectors

If you are using a sat nav with Radar Detectors as a point of interest, this option must be turned off. Radar Detectors are forbidden in France.

Reflective Strips

Not compulsory.


Unclear if compulsory, at the time of publishing, but definitely recommended.

Speed Limits

Unless otherwise signposted. In built up areas 31mph (50km/h), other areas between 62mph (100km/h) and on motorways up to 80mph (130k/h). Mopeds must not exceed 45km/h


Even if you have a vignette, there are some other tolls that you may have to pay for. Tolls are payable at some motorway tunnels.

Tourist Information


Please contact your GP up to 8 weeks prior to travel. It is advisable to have vaccinations for the following Hepatitis A, Hepatitis B, Rabies, Tetanus, Tick-borne encephalitis.

National Travel Health Network and Centre.


For visits up to 90 days, UK citizens do not need a visa.


All vehicles using Austrian motorways and expressways must display a motorway tax sticker. You can purchase these on the border.
You can buy vignettes online valid for either 2 months or 1 year. If you purchase these on the border, you can buy them valid for about 10 days. Trikes will come under a car category, even if they are motorcycle based trikes.

Warning Triangles

Compulsory for cars, but not for motorcycles.

Information is correct at the time of publishing (April 2013), please confirm as required with authorities.

Please also view our general advice for Motorcycling in Europe, which details information on passports, documents, lights, ferry crossings, insurance, EIHC's, IDP's etc.




Bike Stay is published by Bike-Stay 2001-2016 accepts no responsibility for incorrectly published information. See Disclaimer