> Bike Stay > Touring Advice >

Carnet de Passages en Douane

The Carnet de Passages en Douane is a customs document that entitles the holder to temporarily import a vehicle without the need to pay the appropriate customs duties and taxes.

The Carnet is valid for one year from the date of issue. It can be obtained from your local motoring organisation, (In the UK, Carnets can only be obtained via the RAC and costs just under £200)

You DO NOT need a Carnet for travel to Europe or North America or most South American counties. 

You will need a Carnet if you are shipping or riding your motorcycle to most African countries, Australia, or New Zealand.

These MUST be obtained before you travel.

  • Visit the RAC Website (UK Residents) -
  • Residents of other countries must apply for a Carnet via their local issuer.

Information is correct at the time of publishing (April 2013), please confirm as required with authorities.

Countries where a CPD is required:

Kenya, Egypt, Senegal (for motorcycles older than 5 years), South Africa
Egypt now has its own Carnet, available for those without a valid Carnet de Passage at the borders.

Asia and Middle East
Bangladesh, India, Indonesia, Iran, Japan, Jordan, Nepal, Pakistan, Singapore, Sri Lanka, Syria, Yemen

Australia (not required, but strongly recommended), Vanuatu, New Zealand.

Countries where a Carnet de Passage is accepted:

In certain African countries, the CPD is not officially required, but is often used to facilitate temporary importation of a vehicle.

A CPD may be used in: Benin, Botswana, Burkina Faso, Cameroon, Central African Republic, Chad, Comoros, Côte d'Ivoire, Congo, Egypt, Gabon, Ghana, Guinea-Bissau,Kenya, Lesotho, Libya, Madagascar, Malawi, Mali, Mauritania, Namibia, Niger, Senegal, Somalia, South Africa, Swaziland, Tanzania, Togo, Uganda, and Zimbabwe.

North & South America
Argentina, Brazil, Canada, Chile, Colombia, Costa Rica, Dutch Antilles, Ecuador, Jamaica, Mexico, Paraguay, Peru, Surinam, Trinidad and Tobago, Uruguay, and Venezuela.

Asia and Middle East

Bahrain, Bangladesh, India, Indonesia, Iran, Iraq, Japan, Jordan, Kuwait, Lebanon, Malaysia, Myanmar, Nepal, Oman, Pakistan, Qatar, Singapore, Sri Lanka, Syria, United Arab Emirates, and Yemen.

Belgium, Denmark, Finland, Greece, Italy, Monaco, Netherlands, and Turkey. In these European countries, the CPD is required only for certain categories of vehicles. The CPD is not required in these countries for private cars.

Australia, New Zealand, and Vanuatu.


Information is correct at the time of publishing (April 2013), please confirm as required with authorities.