> Bike Stay
European Touring Advice
> Documents

You must carry the following documents with you when you travel in Europe.

  1. A valid full driving licence, with paper counterpart if you have a photocard licence.
  2. An International Driving Permit (when necessary).
  3. The original vehicle registration document.
  4. Your motor insurance certificate.
  5. Your passport.
  6. Euro Plates or Country Stickers (i.e GB Stickers)

It is advisable to also obtain

  1. EIHC - European International Health Card
  2. Travel Insurance

Please click the links above for further information where applicable. Below is additional information regarding the documents that are not linked in the list above.

Driving Licence.

For UK Residents, you must take your paper counterpart if you have a photocard licence.

It can be beneficial to obtain an IDP (International Driving Permit) when travelling in Europe, although it is not a requirement in some European countries. You still need to carry your driving licence, even if you have an IDP.

Original Vehicle Registration Document

Your Vehicle Registration Document (V5) is required when travelling in Europe. It helps to identify that the vehicle is yours. Photocopies are not suitable, but we do advise that you photocopy your documents prior to travel in case you loose anything.

Insurance Documents

Make sure your insurance does not expire whilst abroad. Be sure, as well, to ensure that your insurance covers you for travelling in the countries you are visiting. Some insurance policies do not include European travel.

You must carry your motorcycle insurance certificate.

GB sticker's / EU Plates

If you do not have a EURO Licence plate, (signified by the EU symbol on the number plate), then GB Stickers (or your relevent country stickers) must be displayed on your motorcycle.

Failure to comply with this regulation could result in an on-the-spot fine.


Information & Advice
Information & Advice for European Touring
Motorcycle Luggage - Options and General Advice.
European Touring Pack - all you need to say legal on the continent.
EIHC - European Internation Health Card
European Travel Documents
Travel Insurance
European Touring Advice - General advice and tips for riders from all countries
Guided Bike Tours and Motorbike Hire in Europe
Motorcycle Hire in Europe
Motorcycle Tour Operators in Europe




Bike Stay is published by � Bike-Stay 2001-2017
Please see Terms and Conditions of Use.